„The Village of the World’s End”
The Village of Iwiecino was termed like this by their own inhabitants because of the ceiling polichromy displaying the Final Judgement which dates from 1697. This is the finest element of the temple’s rich interior. The polichromy was painted by an unknown artist who was paid the amount of 36 thalars for it by the then pastor Jacob Malichius. An extended composition of the picture refers to the iconic layout which is traditional for the art of the Middle Ages.
One can see at the very center a figure of Jesus Christ the Judge who is sitting on the rainbow arch surrounded by the Apostles, the elderly of Apocalypse and St. Mary, John the Baptist as well as the Angels announcing the World’s End. The lower part of the picture is filled with figures of the dead resurrecting from the graves. Inside the presbytery one can see the Father God and Its Son Jesus Christ with the Dove embodying the Holy Spirit (as a Part of the Holy Trinity) who is situated at the altar’s crowning.
in the Space
The wealth and diversity of the movable relics the Iwiecino church houses within its cozy space gives evidence to the changes in the art as well as to the metamorphoses in the religious and social life the community living on the territory of the Western Pomerania underwent. These precious monuments come from the times of the Middle Ages, Renaissance and Baroque.
Among them one can find a Gothic sacramental cabinet with the carved doors, the altar from 1622 decorated with the figures and ornaments in the style of mannerism; a manneristical raised platform built from 1646 to 1650 which contains sculptures and paintings, a baptist font of the spherical shape decorated with the painted shallows displaying the scenes of baptizing Jesus Christ and the figures of four Evangelists; a lot of benches dating from 1588 which are painted decoratively with figural, floral as well as zoomorphic motifs; the epitaph of Martin von Plathe or a particularly valuable polychromy demonstrating the Final Judgement which is visible on the beam ceiling of the church.
of the Ceremony
The eldest fitting of the Church at Iwiecino points to its Cistercian heritage. Such relics as the sacramental wooden cabinet and the late Gothic crucifix richly decorated were made when the church was still under the cultural influence of the Monastery in Bukowo Morskie.
A liturgic fitting of the interior which originates from the 17th century reflects a protestant notion and a new post Roman Catholic culture which dominated Pomerania within the wider territory of the Western Europe in the period following the victory of Reformation.
The church bell from AD 1447
In Louis Boetger’s catalog published in 1892 one can identify the Iwiecino bell. It had the inscription in Latin: “O Rex Gloriae veni cum pace. Amen 1447. Febr. 4” In 1875 the Prussian authorities ordered the bell to be melted down.